- Traditional spice mix from Bengal which combines the 2 favourite Bengali spices Shorshe (mustard seeds) and Posto (poppy seeds)
- Shorshe and its oil packs a pungent punch, while posto smoothens the palate by providing a nutty, neutralizing flavour.
- Ideal for vegetarian and non-vegetarian Bengali dishes
- Coarse texture. Pounded spice mix preserves original flavors
- Shelf life of 6 months. Keep in a cool and dry place
Shorshe (mustard seeds) and Posto (poppy seeds) are two essentials of the Bengali cuisine. Nothing can be more Bengali than the combination of the two! The locally grown shorshe and its oil packs a pungent punch while posto – an ingredient popularized in Bengal by the British, thanks to their Opium Wars with China – smoothens the palate by providing a nutty, neutralizing flavour. This simple yet heady mixture can be used to make a variety of traditional Bengali dishes.
How to use Shorshe Posto like a local:
1. Mix 4 tsp Shorshe Posto for 250g fish/vegetables in little water to form a smooth paste. Keep aside
2. Heat 2 tbsp mustard oil until white smoke emerges. Add 1/4 tsp kalonji (Nigella seeds) or 1 tsp Bengali panch phoran mix (equal amounts of kalonji, fenugreek/methi, mustard, cumin and fennel seeds). Let the seeds pop
3. Add green chilis sliced along the length (optional, since this mix already contains dried green chili powder). Add Shorshe Posto paste. Fry lightly for a minute. Add desired quantity of water (warm)
4. Add shallow fried fish/prawns, or ridge gourd, or paneer or other vegetables of choice. Bring to boil. Dress with raw mustard oil for added punch (optional)
Q Factor: A unique, traditional regional spice mix from Bengal. Shorshe Posto is a well-balanced blend of high quality mustard seeds, poppy seeds and dried green chili, all ingredients which the Bengalis love! So expect an authentic Bengali experience when you used this one!
Ingredients: Mustard seeds, poppy seeds, dehydrated green chilis and salt. No added preservatives.
Shelf life from date of manufacturing: 6 months from the date of manufacturing.
Shelf life once opened: 6 months if stored in an airtight container
Nutritional Benefits: No specific health benefits. But spices are known to help respiratory infections away!
Storage Instructions: Store in a cool and dry place. Preferably in a refrigerator.
Allergens(specify none if no allergens): No allergens.
Disclaimer: Every piece is a creation of artisans and based on craft styles, some being centuries old. There may be natural blemishes/distinctions that are not product flaws. Such variations are inherent in the manufacturing of handmade or handcrafted products, so you may find slight distinctions that make your purchase special and truly one-of-a-kind. Please note that while we have tried to accurately display the colors and size of products, the actual colors you see will depend on your electronic screen's settings and may not be accurate.
Shipping Time: Usually 1-2 days from the date of order. For 'Made to Order' products, it can be as high as 4-5 days. Check your approx date of delivery on this page.
Delivery Time: 1-2 days from dispatch from seller location if Metro (source) to Metro (destination), 4-5 days from dispatch if Non-Metro (source) to Non- Metro (destination).
Shipping Cost: You don't have to pay anything extra apart from what is shown during checkout and in your order confirmation email.
Returns and Exchange: We at Qtrove strive to ensure you get 100% satisfaction from any of the products you buy from us. Having said that, we get that you may have an occasional concern with your order. Please do write in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to resolve any issue that may have occurred. Returns and Exchanges will be evaluated on a case by case basis.